Frequently asked questions
Powder coating is a finishing technology where a uniform, attractive, and extremely durable coating can be applied to a wide range of products. The process involves spraying finely ground, electrostatically charged particles of pigment and resin onto a surface to be coated. The charged powder particles adhere to the electrically grounded surfaces. The materials used are free of Volatile Organic Compounds (VOC’s), making the process environmentally friendly. The coated parts are then placed into a curing oven for a specific time and at a specific temperature, depending on the type of metal being coated. Curing ovens can be powered by various heat transfer technologies, such as convection, infrared, or ultraviolet.
Powder coating technology is replacing liquid finishing technologies because of its durability, ease of use, and uniform application, while also rewarding its users with cost savings versus conventional liquid coatings. It has become prevalent where extraordinary coating durability is valued. Over the last 20 years, it has become recognized as a superior process and is now widely used in various industrial finishing applications. For these reasons, powder coating is the most rapidly growing finishing technology in North America.
With the combined histories of the 2 partners alone of SCPC, not including our management teams you receive the benefit of over 65 years of experience with coatings, applications and maintenance.
When choosing a custom powder coater, we suggest you ask about the experience each firm offers. When it comes to industrial coatings there is no substitute for experience!
Saskatoon Custom Powder Coating is located in a 33,000 square foot facility in the North Industrial Area of Saskatoon, Saskatchewan. Click HERE for our address and contact information.
Our office and shipping and receiving is open from 8:00 am to 4:30 pm Monday through Friday.
For production we have 3 shifts, that give us the opportunity to get the product back to our customers faster than ever.
We are able to process large and small products, in a variety of material substrates. Saskatoon Custom Powder Coating offers the following:
- Acid washing and iron phosphating in a pressure wash system.
- Zinc rich epoxy primers for additional corrosion protection.
- Three batch powder coating systems:
- * System 1 – process parts up to 7′ x 7′ x 13′.
- * System 2 – process parts up to 10′ x 10′ x 25′.
- * System 3 – process parts up to 9′ x 9′ x 23′.
- Ability to process large quantities of product in short time frames.
- Ability to process steel, aluminum, galvanized, satin coat, stainless, and cast items.
- We can provide process control information upon request.
We currently stock over 200 colors with a variety of gloss levels and textures available. We also have access to thousands of additional finishes to meet virtually any need, such as:
- Epoxies – These coatings are intended to provide exceptional chemical and corrosion resistance, but are not intended for outdoor or UV exposure. Many customers use the epoxies as a primer which is then top coated with a urethane or polyester coating.
- Zinc Rich Epoxy Primers – These are readily available and are highly recommended for products destined for locations where corrosion protection is a major concern.
- Hybrids – Similar to epoxies except that they offer less chemical and corrosion resistance. The benefit is that color and texture selection is greater, making them still a good choice for interior products.
- Urethanes (Aliphatic) – Good chemical, corrosion, and UV resistance. Color selection is also good. Can be developed to be extremely smooth and uniform in finish.
- Polyesters – These are the most commonly used coatings. Color selection is very good and the functional abilities of the coatings are also very good for a number of applications, both indoors and outdoors.
- “Super Durables” – These products are intended for products requiring extended gloss retention. They offer the same color selection and physical properties as polyesters, with the exception that Super Durables powder coating typically retains greater than 50% of their original gloss following 60 months of south Florida exposure, making them among the best coatings available.
- Metallics – These products are available in many colors and textures. Most metallics are intended for indoor use, but may be exposed to outdoor conditions provided they are clear coated. Some powder manufacturers offer “one step” metallics as well, which helps to keep the cost of the job down.
- Clear Coats
- Hammer tones ( Hybrids & Urethanes) – Decorative finishes intended for items such as lawn and patio furniture.
- Veins / Wrinkle Finishes (Hybrids & Urethanes) – Decorative finishes intended for items such as lawn and patio furniture.
Saskatoon Custom Powder Coating will only use coatings from reputable companies, which ensures that you receive the best coating value for your money. Check out our Color Gallery for more.